I’ve recently come across a “great mystery” that keeps bugging me: I can’t seem to solve it because I fail to see the logic in it, so since it usually helps to vent stuff that bugs me out, I’ll try to outline this one in writing as well – maybe it would help to see to the solution :). Fair warning – fully irrelevant to anything relevant, just an interesting little life situation that puzzles me :D.
Ok let’s imagine the following as given:
1. You have a best friend who moved to another city from where you live. You only get a chance to see each other every few months. Usually you end up going there for a few days because your schedule is more flexible. Your best friend is very busy and usually has very little free time to dedicate to anything and you know it, of course.
2. Both of you keep talking about taking a long weekend trek into the mountains. In fact, you’d both absolutely love to go, and definitely together – to relax, catch up and simply interact outside of the usual “between working hours and other engagements” setting. You’ve been talking about it on/off for almost a year though but, sadly, somehow there’s just never much time, especially on your friend’s side.
3. You two are really, really close and value each other and the time you spend together – especially since it is so rare. You on your side, having the flexibility at hand, on the very few occasions your friend makes it to your city for a visit, make sure to completely clear the schedule so that you two could spend as much time together as possible.
4. One of those rare times you go to visit your best friend for a couple of days. You, obviously, find what to do during all the “work and other engagements” times. Your best friend is still your best friend, however, and you are having, as always, a great time after hours.
5. Then you hear from your best friend’s new pal that they are going for a week long trek into the mountains. You’re not invited. You don’t even know about it coming up. Your best friend is as busy as always with a lot going on and a few deadlines approaching, yet somehow managed to crave out not a day or two from the busy schedule but a whole week. This means your next chance to go anywhere together is pushed over to “at least another year later”, most likely, due to a limited number of days that can be taken off work by your best friend.
And basically this is where my cognition fails me because, like… WHAT A FUCK?
The situation described is 100% hypothetical and purely illustrative, but the line of logic is preserved. My question is, in a given scenario, is it just me who would see a bit too wide of a gap between words and appearances and actions, or is there simply too wide of a gap? What could possibly cause such dissonance?
I can think of two scenarios:
A. The best friend is sincere in intentions and truly values your friendship.
B. Or not.
For the sake of making the puzzle more complicated (because in case of scenario B, the answer is rather self-evident 🙂 ), let us presume scenario A applies.
Question: how could such a situation possibly arise?
And voila, can’t solve this one, so… any help/guesses? 🙂